Café Volunteer Assistant
North Edinburgh Arts (NEA) busy community Cafe and garden is at the heart of the art centre and is where creative ideas are exchanged, children play and people meet their friends. They say food speaks to the soul and our cafe team provides comforting food in a sometimes fast paced environment. There are many roles for volunteers including Kitchen Porter or Cafe Assistant and some training will be provided.
Open 6 days per week, the cafe provides good, home cooked food at an affordable price to enable the local community to access healthy meals out. The cafe not only serves good food but aim to provide a warm, friendly and welcoming space where people can come to meet and eat. With an emphasis on sustainability and reducing waste, NEA is aiming to become greener day by day. There are many opportunities to learn and boost your employability and NEA offers free training when it is available such as REHIS Food Hygiene and Barista (Professional Coffee Making).
The café is open Monday – Saturday and we are looking for volunteers to help on one or more regular days per week. Specific requirements can be discussed.
Monday – Friday 10am – 2pm (9.30am – 3pm)
Saturday 10.30am – 1pm (10am – 1pm)
The Café Team
- Head Chef
- Chef’s Assistant
- Community Job Scotland Café Assistant/s
- Volunteers and Students – NEA have around 10 volunteers and students that help support the café on a day to day basis
We ask café volunteers to undertake the following tasks:
- Interact with the café team and contribute to the smooth running of service
- Help maintain a clean and safe café area including cleaning tables and equipment used in the café
- Serve customers, take hot and cold food and drink orders and make hot drinks and coffee
- Provide a friendly, helpful and professional service to customers using the café.
- Help clear tables, and restock condiments/refreshments.
- Clean and tidy the play area including wiping the equipment and high chairs
- Help with kitchen tasks such as cleaning dishes, wiping worktops, emptying bins, stocking fridges, and other duties as directed by the Head Chef
- Use till system and handle cash
- Work as part of a team and assist where required including set up and clear up for dinner groups using the café space
- Assist with corporate catering where required and help with events that require catering, such as tea and coffee set-ups or buffets.
- Take part in any relevant training where possible (REHIS Food Hygiene/Barista Training/etc).
- Be committed to helping implement our environmental food waste policy
- Be familiar with the menu information and the different type of food available for customers
Read more about the café here.
If you would like to volunteer with North Edinburgh Arts please see the forms on the volunteer page.
After these forms and references have been completed and returned we will be in touch to arrange a time to meet with you to discuss your volunteering further. For more information please see Volunteering: What to Expect
Please email completed forms to email@example.com
Alternatively please contact Angela Austin E:firstname.lastname@example.org T: 0131 315 6409
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with North Edinburgh Arts